ABOUT OUR CLUBHOUSE
The Fort Chaplin Park Apartments Clubhouse is located in North East Washington, DC. This project consists of a new, 2-story clubhouse with pool deck and separate daycare building for the apartment community. The project replaces the old clubhouse and pool structure at the site.
- The project is located on a previously developed site serving an apartment community with numerous neighborhood amenities within walking distance.
- Benning Road Metro Station is within 0.5 miles, providing car-free public transit within walking distance.
- No new motor vehicle parking is provided, encouraging the use of public transportation, walking, and biking.
- 8,389 square feet of green roof reduces the urban heat island effect and aids in retaining stormwater and slowing runoff.
Low flow water fixtures installed in the building save 30% water compared to the LEED baseline. This results in an estimated 21,166 gallons of water savings per year.
Plumbing fixture flow rates are:
- Metered lavatory faucets 0.1 gallon per cycle
- Toilets 1.28 gallons per flush
- Showers 1.5 gallons per minute
- Kitchen faucets 1.5 gallons per minute
ENERGY & ATMOSPHERE
Renewable energy certificates (RECs) have been purchased for 70% of the total building annual energy usage over a 2-year period.
The project’s energy model demonstrated 12.8% energy cost savings compared to the ASHRAE 90.1-2010 baseline. Energy efficiency features of the building are:
- Light fixtures are nearly all efficient LEDs, and controlled by occupancy sensors
- Glazing is improved compared to the ASHRAE 90.1 baseline
- Exterior wall insulation (R-21 batts plus continuous insulation) is improved compared to the baseline
- R-38 roof insulation
- Demand controlled ventilation in high density spaces
MATERIALS & RESOURCES
- Construction waste recycling resulted in 94% of construction waste either recycled or otherwise diverted from disposal. This amounted to 781 tons of material diverted from disposal.
- Recycled content materials total 17% of materials, by cost. Recycled content is included in structural materials, drywall, windows, masonry and other building materials.
- Regional content materials constitute 29% of all materials, by cost.
INDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
- Low VOC paints, adhesives, sealants and flooring products were used during construction.
- The building is non-smoking throughout the building and site.
- The building has access to daylight and views, with views to the outdoors in meeting rooms, office areas and daycare spaces.